Assistant Scientist Starting June 2018
Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry
Building: Fye 115
266 Woods Hole Road, MS #04
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Woods Hole, MA 02543
- Characterizing photochemical and biological oxidation of a wide range of organic carbon sources in inland and marine surface waters, including:
- natural organic matter
- petroleum hydrocarbons
- black carbon
- Quantifying the effect of weathering processes on oil spill response and damage assessment.
Selected Publications (Google Scholar)
- Ward, C. P., Armstrong, C. J., Conmy, R. N., French-McCay, D. P., & Reddy, C. M. Photochemical Oxidation of Oil Reduced the Effectiveness of Aerial Dispersants Applied in Response to the Deepwater Horizon Spill. 2018. Environmental Science & Technology Letters.
- Ward, C.P., Sharpless, C.M., Aeppli, C., French-McCay, D.P., Valentine, D.L., Rodgers, R. P., Gosselin, K.M., Nelson, R.K., & Reddy, C.M. Partial photochemical oxidation was a dominant fate of Deepwater Horizon surface oil. 2018. Environmental Science & Technology, 52 (4), 1797-1805.
- Ward, C. P., Nalven, S.G., Crump, B. C., Kling, G. W., & Cory, R. M. Photochemical alteration of dissolved organic carbon draining permafrost soils shifts microbial metabolic pathways and stimulates respiration. 2017. Nature Communications, 8, 1-8.
- Ward, C. P. & Cory, R. M. Complete and partial photo-oxidation of dissolved organic matter draining permafrost soils. 2016. Environmental Science & Technology, 50, 3545-3553.
- Ward, C. P. & Cory, R. M. Chemical composition of dissolved organic matter draining permafrost soils. 2015. Geochemica et Cosmochimica Acta, 167, 63-79.
- Cory, R. M., Ward, C. P., Crump, B. C., & Kling, G. W. Sunlight controls water column processing of carbon in arctic fresh waters. 2014. Science, 345, 925-928.
- Ward, C. P., Sleighter, R. L., Hatcher, P. G., & Cory, R. M. 2014. Insights into the complete and partial photooxidation of black carbon in surface waters. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, 16, 721-731.
Ph.D.: Earth and Environmental Sciences. 2015. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
M.S. Environmental Science. 2010. Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
B.S. Environmental Science. 2008. Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA