The Environmental Systems Laboratory (ESL) building is located on the Quissett Campus (see map). Dedicated in 1974 as a saltwater research facility, it has been used for a variety of purposes over the years.
Address: 171 Oyster Pond Road, Woods Hole, MA
From the early days of ESL
"The new Environmental Systems Laboratory of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution was designed to be capable of performing a wide spectrum of research in the fields of marine aquaculture, water pollution control and coastal biology."
-- John E. Huguenin, 1975 from the article "Development of a Marine aquaculture research complex."
ESL Cold Box #2 contains:
- Interior Dimensions: 13 ft L x 8 ft W x 8 Ft H
- 4 ft wide access door
- Temperature Range: 4 - 30 C +/- 1 C
- Programmable Light Cycle
- Temperature Recorder
- Flow Thru Seawater @ Ambient, 10 C, 14 C and 20 C Temperature Selections
- Low Pressure Aeration
- GFI Electrical Receptacles
- Seawater Floor Drain
- Non-metallic shelving system
- Epoxy sink and countertop with warm and cold water faucet