I am currently a Research Associate III at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) working with Dr. Hyodae Seo and Dr. Carol Anne Clayson, with an interest in contributing to a deeper understanding of the air-sea interactions and how the ocean can modulate the global and regional climate. In order to tackle these topics, I use coupled Earth system models (i.e. SCOAR Regional Coupled Model) involving interactions between the atmosphere, the ocean and the ocean surface waves. Along with numerical simulations, extensive use of available observation dataset made in the marine boundary layer is needed to assess the current modeling capability and how it can be improved. A better understanding and representation of the air-sea interaction in numerical models can have crucial implications in weather forecast but also in assessing offshore wind energy.
- 2023 - now, Research Associate III at WHOI; Supervisor : Hyodae Seo
- 2020 - 2023, Postodoctoral Investigator at WHOI; Advisors : Hyodae Seo and Carol Anne Clayson
- 2016 - 2019, Ph.D. student, CNRM, Toulouse, France; Advisors : Cindy Lebeaupin Brossier, Marie-Noelle Bouin and Véronique Ducrocq
- 2015 (Apr. - Sept.), Guest Student, Mediterranean Institute of Oceanography, Toulon, France; Advisors : Anne Molcard and Yann Ourmières.
- 2019, Ph.D. at CNRM (National Centre for Meteorological Research), Paul Sabatier University,Toulouse, France.
- Dissertation : Ocean-atmosphere coupling for prediction of Mediterranean heavy precipitation events : better modeling and impacts of river runoff and sea state. (full text only available in French)
- 2012-2015, Engineering university - Water engineering, Polytech’Nice-Sophia Antipolis, France.
- 2014, Semester in South Korea, Incheon National University.
- NSF PO (2022-2026): Improving understanding of coupled impacts of oceans and waves on air-sea fluxes in the US Northeast Coast. PIs: Seo, Sauvage, Edson and Clayson.
- NASA MAP (2021-2024): Improving coupled atmosphere-ocean processes in NU-WRF for the simulation of coast-threatening extratropical cyclones in the northeastern US. PI: Seo, Edson, Clayson (all at WHOI), Braun & Shi (NASA GSFC).
- DOE WFIP3 (2021-2026), Improving High Resolution Offshore Wind Resource Assessments and Forecasts using Observations in the MA/RI Lease Areas. Kirincich et al.
- NOAA CVP (2019-2022), Coupled Ocean-atmosphere interaction mediated by ocean mesoscale eddies in the Northwestern Tropical Atlantic Ocean. PI : Seo and Clayson.
- MISTRALS - HYMEX (2010-2020), Hydrological Cycle in Mediterranean Experiments. Drobinski et al., 2014.
Honor & Award
- Travel grant received as an early career scientist to attend the US CLIVAR Mesoscale and Frontal-Scale Air-Sea Interactions Workshop, Boulder, CO, USA, Mar. 2023.
- Physical Oceanography Dissertation Symposium XI, Kaua'i, Hawai'i, USA, Oct. 2021.
Sauvage C., C. Lebeaupin Brossier, M-N. Bouin and V. Ducrocq : Ocean-atmosphere coupling for prediction of Mediterranean heavy precipitation events: better modeling and impacts of river runoff and sea state. Talk.
Teaching and Outreach
- 'Ocean-Atmosphere Interactions Impact on Global Climate', Guest lecture in Earth and Science class at Glenville State University, Apr. 2023.
- 'Introduction to Ocean Surface Waves', Guest lecture for the MIT/WHOI Joint Program, Nov. 2021.
- Session chair : "Waves in the large-scale air-sea system" at The 4th workshop on Waves and Wave-Coupled Processes, Uppsala, Sweden, February 2023
- Session chair : "Regional / Shelf Scale" at the Physical Oceanography Dissertation Symposium XI, Kaua'i, Hawai'i, USA, Oct. 2021
- Reviewer for Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR) Oceans | Atmospheres ; Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (ACP); Geoscientific Model Development (GMD);
- Co-organizer of the Physical Oceanography Department Seminar at WHOI (2021-2022)
- Member of Physical Oceanography Department Website Committee at WHOI (2022-now)