- Economics and public policy of marine resources and the ocean environment
- Optimal management of ocean and coastal resources and their uses
- Distribution and allocation of property rights in ocean and coastal resources
- Economic impact of and responses to coastal and ocean natural hazards
- Visiting Professor of Ocean and Coastal Policy, Sea Education Association
- Adjunct Professor, Graduate Faculty, Department of Marine Affairs, University of Rhode Island
Selected Recent Publications (* = student author)
*Luk S, Hoagland P, Rheuban JE, Costa JE, Doney SC. 2019. Modeling the effect of water quality on the recreational shellfishing cultural ecosystem service of Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts. Mar. Poll. Bull. 140:364-373. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2018.12.047.
Adams CM, Larkin SL, Hoagland P, *Sancewich B. 2018. Assessing the economic consequences of harmful algal blooms: a summary of existing literature, research methods, data, and information gaps. In Shumway SE, ed., Harmful Algal Blooms: A Compendium Desk Reference. New York: John Wiley, pp. 337-354.
*Carr EW, *Shirazi Y, Parsons G, Hoagland P, Sommerfield CK. 2017. The economic value of carbon sequestration by wetlands in the Delaware Estuary: historic estimates and future projections. J. Environ. Mgmt. 206:40-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2017.10.018.
*Graikoski M, Hoagland P. 2017. Market-based rolling easements to reduce the vulnerability of coastal communities in Massachusetts. Sea Grant L. & Pol’y J. 8:117-149. http://nsglc.olemiss.edu/sglpj/.
*Fallon AR, Hoagland P, Jin D, *Phalen W, Fitzsimons G, Hein C. 2017. Adapting without retreating: responses to shoreline change on an inlet-associated coastal beach. Coast. Manag. 45:360-383. https://doi.org/10.1080/08920753.2017.1345607.
*Patrolia E, Thompson R, Dalton T, Hoagland P. 2017. The influence of weather on the recreational uses of coastal lagoons. Mar. Pol’y 83:252-258. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ j.marpol.2017.06.019.
Jin D, DePiper G, Hoagland P. 2016. An empirical analysis of portfolio management as a tool for implementing ecosystem-based fishery management. No. Am. J. Fish. Mgmt. 36:652-669. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02755947.2016.1146180.
Berdalet E, Fleming LE, Gowen R, Davidson K, Hess P, Backer LC, Moore SK, Hoagland P, Enevoldsen H. 2015. Marine harmful algal blooms, human health and wellbeing: challenges and opportunities in the 21st century. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 96:61-91.http://www.ncbi.nlm. nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4676275.
*Bush D, Hoagland P. 2015. Public opinion and the environmental, economic, and aesthetic impacts of offshore wind. Oc. Coast. Mgmt. 120:70-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman. 2015.11.018
Hoagland P, Dalton TM, Jin D, Dwyer J. 2015. An approach for assessing the spatial welfare and distributional effects of siting wind energy in the ocean: the Rhode Island/ Massachusetts “Area of Mutual Interest.” Mar. Pol’y 58:51-59. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2015.04.010.
Hoagland P, Jin D, Beet A, Kirkpatrick B, Reich A, Ullmann S., Fleming LE, Kirkpatrick G. 2014. The human health effects of Florida red tides: an expanded analysis. Environ. Int’l. 68:144-153. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2014.03.016.
Hoagland P, Kite-Powell HL, Jin D, Solow AR. 2013. Supply-side approaches to the economic valuation of coastal and marine habitat in the Red Sea. J. King Saud Univ.-Sci. 25:217-228. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jksus.2013.02.006.
Ph.D. Marine Policy. 2000. University of Delaware M.P.A. Public Administration. 1993. Harvard University M.M.P. Marine Policy. 1982. University of Delaware B.S. Biology. 1977. Hobart College
- Sheron Luk (2016-present; Ph.D. Candidate, MIT-WHOI Joint Program in Oceanography)
- Aria Finkelstein (Guest Student, 2017-19; Ph.D. Candidate, Urban & Environmental Planning, MIT)
- Kate Rawson (WHOI Summer Student Fellow, 2017; B.S. Environmental Science, Mount Holyoke)
- Yossi Shirazi (Guest Student, 2014-17; Ph.D. Candidate, College of Earth, Ocean & Environment, Delaware)
- Andy Fallon (Guest Student, 2014-15; M.S. 2016, Coastal Geology, William & Mary)