- Economics and public policy of marine resources and the ocean environment
- Optimal management of ocean and coastal resources and their uses
- Distribution and allocation of property rights in ocean and coastal resources
- Economic impact of and responses to coastal and ocean natural hazards
- Visiting Professor of Ocean and Coastal Policy, Sea Education Association (SEA)
- Faculty Member, MIT-WHOI Joint Program in Oceanography/Applied Ocean Science & Engineering
- Adjunct Professor, Graduate Faculty, Department of Marine Affairs, University of Rhode Island
Selected Recent Publications (* = student author)
Hoagland P, Beet A, Ralston D, Parsons G, *Shirazi Y, *Carr E. 2020. Salinity intrusion in a modified river-estuary system: a framework for integrated source-to-sea management. Front. Mar. Sci.. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2020.00425
Hoagland P, Kirkpatrick B, Jin D, Kirkpatrick G, Fleming L, Reich A, Ullmann S, Beet A, Hitchcock G, Kohler K, Li Z, Garrison B, *Diaz RE, Lovko V. 2020. Lessening the hazards of Florida red tides: a common sense approach. Front. Mar. Sci. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2020.00538
Hein CJ, *Fallon AR, Georgiou IP, Hoagland P, Rosen P, Baker S, Marino GB. 2019. Shoreline dynamics along a developed river mouth barrier island: multi-decadal cycles of erosion and event-driven mitigation. Front. Earth Sci. https://doi.org/10.3389/feart.2019.00103.
*Luk S, Hoagland P, Rheuban JE, Costa JE, Doney SC. 2019. Modeling the effect of water quality on the recreational shellfishing cultural ecosystem service of Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts. Mar. Poll. Bull. 140:364-373. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2018.12.047.
*Rawson K, Hoagland P. 2019. Sea cucumbers in a pickle: the economic geography of the serial exploitation of sea cucumbers. Ecol. & Soc. 24:35. https://doi.org/10.5751/ES-11150-240435
*Shirazi Y, *Carr EW, Parsons GR, Hoagland P, Ralston DK, Chen J-L. 2019. Increased operational costs of electricity generation in the Delaware River and Estuary from salinity increases due to sea-level rise and a deepened channel. J. Environ. Manag. 244:228-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2019.04.056.
Adams CM, Larkin SL, Hoagland P, *Sancewich B. 2018. Assessing the economic consequences of harmful algal blooms: a summary of existing literature, research methods, data, and information gaps. In Shumway SE, ed., Harmful Algal Blooms: A Compendium Desk Reference. New York: John Wiley, pp. 337-354.
*Diaz RE, Friedman MA, Jin D, Beet A, Kirkpatrick B, Reich AR, Kirkpatrick G, Ullmann SG, Fleming LE, Hoagland P. 2018. Neurological illnesses associated with Florida red tide (Karenia brevis) blooms. Harm. Alg. 82:73-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2018.07.002.
*Hutcheson WE, Hoagland P, Jin D. 2018. Estimating the economic value of environmental education in the Hudson River Estuary. Ecosys. Svcs. 31C:387-394. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.ecoser.2018.03.005
*Carr EW, *Shirazi Y, Parsons G, Hoagland P, Sommerfield CK. 2017. The economic value of carbon sequestration by wetlands in the Delaware Estuary: historic estimates and future projections. J. Environ. Mgmt. 206:40-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2017.10.018.
*Graikoski M, Hoagland P. 2017. Market-based rolling easements to reduce the vulnerability of coastal communities in Massachusetts. Sea Grant L. & Pol’y J. 8:117-149. http://nsglc.olemiss.edu/sglpj/.
*Fallon AR, Hoagland P, Jin D, *Phalen W, Fitzsimons G, Hein C. 2017. Adapting without retreating: responses to shoreline change on an inlet-associated coastal beach. Coast. Manag. 45:360-383. https://doi.org/10.1080/08920753.2017.1345607.
Jin D, DePiper G, Hoagland P. 2016. An empirical analysis of portfolio management as a tool for implementing ecosystem-based fishery management. No. Am. J. Fish. Mgmt. 36:652-669. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02755947.2016.1146180.
Hoagland P, Dalton TM, Jin D, Dwyer J. 2015. An approach for assessing the spatial welfare and distributional effects of siting wind energy in the ocean: the Rhode Island/ Massachusetts “Area of Mutual Interest.” Mar. Pol’y 58:51-59. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2015.04.010.
Ph.D. Marine Policy. 2000. University of Delaware
M.P.A. Public Administration. 1993. Harvard University
M.M.P. Marine Policy. 1982. University of Delaware
B.S. Biology. 1977. Hobart College
Current Students and Postdocs
- Melina Kourantidou (Ocean Frontier Institute Postdoctoral Fellow, 2019-20; Ph.D. in Natural Resource Economics, University of Southern Denmark, 2017)
- Sheron Luk (2016-20; Ph.D. Candidate in Chemistry and Geochemistry, MIT-WHOI Joint Program in Oceanography)
- Aria Ritz Finkelstein (Guest Student, 2017-20; Ph.D. Candidate in Urban & Environmental Planning, MIT)
- Katie Pell (Guest Student, 2020; B.S. Candidate in Organismal Biology and Ecology, Colorado College, 2021)
- Sally Dowd (WHOI Summer Student Fellow, 2019; B.S. in Molecular Environmental Biology, UC Berkeley, 2020)
- Slater Payne (PEP Fellow, 2019; B.A. in Ecology, Evolution and Behavioral Biology and Russian Studies; Beloit, 2019)