2nd Annual Marine Robotics Entrepreneurship Forum
July 14-15, 2016
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Click on links below to view presentation slides.
July 14, 2016
Innovators Showcase and Networking Social
LOSOS High Bay
|4:00pm – 7:00pm||Opening Remarks
DASN Frank Kelley (Ret. USMC BGen)
Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Unmanned Systems
July 15, 2016
Presentations, Discussions, and Networking Opportunities
Clark Laboratory 507
|8:00am – 8:30am||Breakfast (provided)|
|8:30am – 8:45am||Welcome and Technology Inflections
Jim Bellingham, WHOI Consortium for Marine Robotics
|8:45am – 9:30am||Shipwrecks and Robots
Dana Yoerger, WHOI
|9:30am – 10:00am||Networking Break|
|10:00am – 11:00am||Panel: Emerging Markets and Market Trends: The view from Industry
• Hauke Kite-Powell, WHOI: Macro-economic perspective
• Jay Borkland, Apex Companies: Energy perspective
• Scott Lindell, WHOI: Aquaculture perspective
• John Trowbridge, WHOI: Trends in ocean observing systems
• Zdenka Willis, NOAA: U.S. IOOS Ocean Enterprise Industry StudyPanel Questions:
• What are the existing and emerging markets for marine robotics and their applications and uses?
• What is inhibiting or supporting acceptance of a marine robotics market?
• What steps can and should be taken to accelerate marine robotics technology development and market creation?
|11:00am – 12:00pm||Participating Company Flash Talks
Leslie-Ann McGee, WHOI CMR, Facilitator
Open Water Power
The Blue Institute of Cape Cod
Massachusetts Technology Collaborative
Department of Energy ARPA-E
|12:00pm – 1:00pm||Lunch (provided)|
|1:00pm – 1:45pm||Keynote
VADM Michael Connor (Ret.)
Founding CEO of Thayer Mahan and former commander of U.S. Submarine Forces
Challenges and opportunities in the emerging marine defense robotics market
|1:45pm - 2:45pm||Panel: Low-cost Vehicles
• Jeff Smith, Riptide Autonomous Systems
• Ethan Butler, Bluefin Robotics
• Bob Anderson, Ocean Server
• Tom Altshuler, Teledyne Marine SystemsPanel Questions:
• What do you think are the market opportunities for small marine robotic vehicles?
• What is holding back the development of small vehicles?
• What sensors or subsystems do you wish you had to support small vehicle innovations?
• How do you see capabilities of small vehicles evolving in the next 1-5 years?
|2:45pm - 3:15pm||Networking Break|
|3:15pm - 4:30pm||Panel: Financing Technology Start-Ups and Small Company Resources Panel
• Steve An, Serial Entrepreneur
• Peter Karlson, Ne-uon; Entrepreneur-In-Residence, Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce
• Ken Morse, Entrepreneurship Ventures, Inc.Panel Questions:
• What is your vision of how small robotics companies can get access to venture capital or other funding?
• When and how is it realistic or timely to go after venture capital?
• What are your suggestions for alternative methods of financing?
• How do you see the prospects of funding changing as marine robotics evolve?
• What specific resources do you suggest small companies utilize or access to support their business plan?
|4:30pm - 5:00pm||Wrap Up and Next Steps