Dr. Delia Oppo
Associate Dean of WHOI Academic Programs
Geology & Geophysics Department
Building: Clark 117
266 Woods Hole Road, MS #23
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Woods Hole, MA 02543
I study past variability of ocean circulation and the climatic impacts of those changes. My projects include reconstructing ocean circulation during the last Ice Age, during abrupt climate events that occurred as the large Ice Age continental ice sheets collapsed, and during the last 10,000 years in the absence of large ice sheets. With my many collaborators, I also research how these ocean circulation changes and other factors influence tropical rainfall and vegetation.
- Lacerra, M. , Lund, D. C., Gebbie, G. , Oppo, D. W., Yu, J. , Schmittner, A. and Umling, N. E. (2019), Less Remineralized Carbon in the Intermediate‐Depth South Atlantic During Heinrich Stadial 1. Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, 34: 1218-1233. doi:10.1029/2018PA003537
- Rodriguez, L. G., Cohen, A. L., Ramirez, W. , Oppo, D. W., Pourmand, A. , Edwards, R. L., Alpert, A. E. and Mollica, N. (2019), Mid‐Holocene, Coral‐Based Sea Surface Temperatures in the Western Tropical Atlantic. Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, 34: 1234-1245. doi:10.1029/2019PA003571
- Umling, N. E., Oppo, D. W., Chen, P. , Yu, J. , Liu, Z. , Yan, M. , Gebbie, G. , Lund, D. C., Pietro, K. R., Jin, Z. D., Huang, K. , Costa, K. B. and Toledo, F. A. (2019), Atlantic Circulation and Ice Sheet Influences on Upper South Atlantic Temperatures During the Last Deglaciation. Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, 34: 990-1005. doi:10.1029/2019PA003558
- Oppo, D. W., Gebbie, G. , Huang, K.-F. , Curry, W. B., Marchitto, T. M. and Pietro, K. R. (2018), Data Constraints on Glacial Atlantic Water Mass Geometry and Properties. Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, 33, doi:10.1029/2018PA003408
- Thornalley, D.J.R., D.W. Oppo, P. Ortega, J.I. Robson, C.M. Brierley, R. Davis, I.R. Hall, P. Moffa-Sanchez, N.L. Rose, P.T. Spooner, I. Yashayaev & L.D. Keigwin (2018). Anomalously weak Labrador Sea convection and Atlantic overturning during the past 150 years. Nature 556, 227–230.
- Howe, J. N. W., K. F Huang, D. W. Oppo, C. M. Chiessi, S. Mulitza, J. Blusztajn, A. M. Piotrowski (2018) No major change in Atlantic water mass distributions between the Last Glacial Maximum and Heinrich Stadial 1. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 490, 51-61.
- Holstein, M., M. Mohtadi, Y. Rosenthal, M. Prange, D. W. Oppo, G. Martínez Méndez, K.Tachikawa, P.Moffa Sanchez, S. Steinke, D. Hebbeln (2018) Variations in Western Pacific Warm Pool surface and thermocline conditions over the past 110,000 years: Forcing mechanisms and implications for the glacial Walker circulation, Quaternary Science Reviews, 201, 429-445, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quascirev.2018.10.030.
Ph.D.: Geology. 1989. Columbia University, New York, NY.
B.S.: Mathematics. 1981. State University of New York at Albany