(CC-CREW) Community College Research Experiences at WHOI
The application for Summer 2021 is closed, and we look forward to welcoming 4 students to the lab this summer. Please direct all questions about future opportunities to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a paid, non-residential summer research experience for local community college students to work at WHOI for 8-10 weeks ~June 15-August 15 (exact dates depend on student availability). Right now, the opportunity is limited to up to 4 students per summer, working in the Huber lab under the direct guidance of Dr. Gretta Serres but we will be expanding post-COVID. The students are part of the lab, participate in research, and get exposure to the many STEM careers a research institution like WHOI has to offer. Students receive mentoring on the transition from a community college to a university and on options for graduate studies in areas they are interested in. Students also have a chance to present their research to an audience of peers and mentors. Students have come to us from 4Cs, Massasoit CC, Mt Wachusett CC, and Bristol CC. Additional programs for-credit during the semester as well as expanding beyond Julie's lab are planned, so watch this space!
- Excited to do research in a science lab (no experience needed)!
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be enrolled at a community college and planning to transfer to a 4-year college majoring in a STEM field OR pursuing a new STEM degree after a previous degree
- Completed at least 2 semester-long science courses. Ask if you aren't sure!
The application process includes answering a few questions about yourself as well as uploading an unofficial college transcript. TWO letters of recommendation (professor, advisor, supervisor) also need to be emailed to email@example.com.
Our alumni have almost all successfully transitioned to a 4-year college or university, all majoring in a variety of STEM fields. A number of them are now employed as engineers, scientists, and one is even in graduate school! Every year, we ask a few of them to come back and tell their story to help support new students in their educational and STEM journey!
Funding for this program is provided by
- National Science Foundation
- Cape Cod Starter Academy through the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
- WHOI Doherty Chair in Education
- Let us know if you would like to support this program! Email Julie