Throughout my career, I have been dedicated to supporting young scientists by providing research training and opportunities to postdocs as well as graduate, undergraduate and high school students. I am also very active in outreach, giving multimedia presentations on coral reef science to WHOI Trustees, journalists, local elementary school classes, and the general public several times each year. The classroom visits are particularly rewarding as an opportunity to teach specialized topics and reinforce the value of science in education. Some of my outreach materials and presentations are available below:
Online Resources and Datasets
- Bermuda coral Sr/Ca and d18O Data and SST Reconstruction
- John Smith's Bay Reef, Bermuda, Coral del11B Data
- Hon Tre Island, Vietnam, coral 33 Year Paired Monthly Sr/Ca and d18O Data
- North Atlantic Oscillation Index Coral Sr/Ca 218 Year Reconstruction
- Palaui Islands, Philippines Diploastrea heliopora and Porites lobata Sr/Ca and d18O Data from 1954 to 2012
Radiocarbon Calibration and Carbon Cycle
- Cariaco Basin Deglacial 14C Calibration
- Cariaco Basin Deglacial 14C and Grey Scale Data
- Cariaco Basin 2004 50KYr Radiocarbon Calibration and Reconstruction
- Updated 2006 Cariaco Basin 50,000 Year 14C Calibration Data
- Baffin Island 1250 Year Summer Temperature Reconstruction
- Baffin Island 500 Year Summer Temperature Reconstruction
- Golfo Elefantes, Chile 5400 Year Glaciomarine Sediment Data
- Northern Patagonia 1750 Year SST and Terrestrial Input Data
- Ogac Lake, Baffin Island 2,000 Year Varve Thickness Data
- Arctic Environmental Change of the Last Four Centuries
Tropical Paleoclimate and Paleoenvironment
- Cariaco Basin Foraminiferal Mg/Ca and SST Reconstruction
- Cariaco Basin Trace Metal Data
- Cariaco Basin and Arabian Sea Sediment Reflectance Data Over the Last 100,000 Years
- Cariaco Basin Deglacial Sediment Reflectance Data
- Tropical Atlantic hydrologic cycle during the last glacial
- Laguna La Gaiba, Bolivia 40 KYr Leaf Wax Carbon and Hydrogen Isotope Data
- Lake Bosumtwi, Ghana 21,000 Year Leaf Wax Hydrogen Isotope Data
- Lake Titicaca 60 kyr Leaf Wax Hydrogen Isotope Data
- Peru Margin ODP1228D Holocene Organic Geochemical Data
- Hughen, K., 2007, Sunspots, Sea Changes, and Climate Shifts, Oceanus, Jan. 5, 2007.
- Hughen, K., 2006, Cosmogenic isotope 14C: production and carbon cycle, PAGES Newsletter 14, 6-7.
- Reimer, P., et al., (Hughen, K. and 18 others), 2006, IntCal04 Update: The Future of Radiocarbon Calibration, PAGES Newsletter 14, 9-10.
- Hughen, K., 1998, Past Environmental Change in the Arctic: A PALE contribution to Arctic System Science, Witness the Arctic 6, 1-3.