The research in our lab has been advanced through the efforts of a large group of colleagues, including talented technical staff, students, postdoctoral fellows, and collaborators. Some current and former members of our lab are noted below. If you are interested in joining the lab, please contact us.
Mark E. Hahn, Ph.D.
Mark obtained his Ph.D. in toxicology in 1988 from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. He came to WHOI in 1987 to conduct research in marine toxicology and the use of aquatic animal models for biomedical research.
Sibel I. Karchner, Ph.D.
Sibel Karchner received her Ph.D. in biology in 1992 from Texas Tech University. She has been at WHOI and a member of Mark Hahn's team since 1993. Her main research interests are regulation of gene expression in environmental adaptation, and evolution of genes involved in the organismal response to environmental stressors.
Kallen R. Sullivan, M.S.
Research Assistant II
Kallen joined our lab in January 2022. She received her B.S. in Marine Biology in 2018 at University of St Andrews, St Andrews, UK. She completed her M.S. in Applied Marine and Fisheries Ecology in 2021 at University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK.
Jordan Avery Pitt, B.S.
Ph.D. Student in the MIT-WHOI Joint Program in Oceanography and Oceanographic Engineering
Jordan Pitt's research focuses on the presence and effects of microplastics and nanoplastics in the marine environment. She is the recipient of an NSF Graduate Fellowship.
Directory: Jordan Pitt web page
Diana G. Franks
Former Members of Our Lab
- Diana G. Franks, B.S., Research Associate. Diana was a member of our research team from 1996 until her retirement in January 2022.
- Jennifer Martinez Panlilio, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow, National Institute of Child Health and Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- Lilah Glazer, Ph.D. (Marie Curie Fellow; Queen Mary University, London)
- Alicia R. Timme-Laragy, Ph.D. (Associate Professor, UMASS Amherst)
- Neel Aluru, Ph.D. (Associate Scientist, WHOI)
- Larissa M. Williams, Ph.D. (Associate Professor, Bates College)
- Rachel (Harbeitner) Clark, B.S. (Graduate Student, UC Santa Cruz)
- Kristina Deak, B.S. (Graduate Student, Univ. of South Florida)
- Wade Powell, Ph.D. (Professor of Biology, Kenyon College)
- Connie Hart, Ph.D. (Health Canada, Ottawa)
- Sue Bello, Ph.D. (Bioinformaticist, The Jackson Labs)
- Eli Hesterman, Ph.D. (Dean of the School of Health, Science, and Technology at Concordia University Chicago)
- Brenda Jensen, Ph.D. (Dean, College of Natural and Computational Sciences, Hawai'i Pacific University)
- Eun-Young Kim, Ph.D. (Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea)
- Brad Evans, Ph.D. (Mount Sinai School of Medicine)
- Rebeka Merson, Ph.D. (Professor, Biology Dept., Rhode Island College)
- Ann Tarrant, Ph.D. (Senior Scientist, WHOI)
- Maria Hansson, Ph.D. (Senior Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Lund University, Sweden)
- Matthew Jenny, Ph.D. (Associate Professor, University of Alabama)
- Joy Lapseritis, Ph.D. (U.S. Navy)
- Eric Montie, Ph.D. (Associate Professor, University of South Carolina Beaufort)
- Kristen Whalen, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor, Haverford College)